Wine Bottle Design

There are many things that entice you to choose a particular bottle of wine, when browsing at your local store. Some of the indicators that make you select that wine over the other are conscious, and some, unconscious. Marketers for years have worked hard not only on messaging and targeted geographical media buys, but on packaging as well. Ensuring that the packaging represents their brand, and builds the sentiment they hope you take away, while appealing to the senses of those that are a part of their target demographic. This concept of marketing, branding and packaging applies to all industries, wine production included.  With wine consumption taking only a 20% market share in alcohol beverage purchases, across North America, it is safe to say that introducing wine to the remaining 80% will require a deeper marketing strategy that encourages them to pick up your bottle over the others, when browsing the 25 different labels that appear in eyes view, at a single glance. So, some may say that design is right up there in importance, with what fills the bottle.  The unfortunate thing is that historically,  the wine industry is known for its traditional mono-faceted branding practices, which don’t always appeal. I’ll admit though, we are seeing improvements in wine bottle design, but as an industry, we still have a ways to go.

This month, on the Wine Hobbyist, we’re going to review wines not just because of its grape variety or region, but because of its design. Our posts this month, for wines that fall into our theme, will not only review the wine makeup itself, but include commentary from designers on label representation and the interpreted story behind each.

So, here’s to hoping this month we’ll not only get a chance to indulge in and learn about new wines, but perhaps we’ll learn a thing or two about branding and design, making our appreciation for all that a wine production house offers us that much greater.