Here’s another cocktail that was born out of me having too many open bottles of wine in the fridge. That, coupled with the fact that I picked up a bottle of Fernet-Branca from a self-dare to make a desirable cocktail from it. An attempt to make a cocktail from Fernet, some who have had the liquor will tell you that since given its bitter, herb blend, finding the right libation elixir is indeed a daring and difficult task!
Fernet is made from a number of herbs and spices which vary according to the brand, but usually include myrrh, rhubarb, chamomile, cardamom, aloe, and especially saffron, with a base of grape distilled spirits, and colored with caramel coloring ~ Wikipedia
Don’t let the above scare you. People have been making cocktails from Fernet for years, admittedly with some difficulty, but here’s a cocktail recipe you can try, if the daring mixologist in you wants to come out to play.
Fernet Gin Fizz
- 1 oz Fernet-Branca
- 1 oz Hendricks Gin
- 3 oz medium sweet Pinot Grigio
- 2 oz soda water
- 1/2 lime
- 1 lemon slice
- Over two ice cubes, pour the listed alcohol into your glass
- Add the soda water and stir to ensure the liquids are well blended
- Squeeze the juice from your half cut lime into your glass and discard
- Lay your lemon slice into your cocktail glass as a subtle garnish
What you’ll end up with is a surprisingly fun and refreshing aperitif.